So we’re all aware how difficult it is to get vegetarian food in Singapore amidst all the sea-food and meat fare. To make matters worse are the baffled expressions of the restaurant staff when you ask them for vegetarian food. So, to make matters simple for all you veggie folks, listed below are 5 restaurants where you can enjoy a hearty vegetarian meal! Bon Appetit!
- Thunder Tea Rice, Lau Pa Sat: Try this healthy local delicacy where you can choose between white and brown rice, which is mixed with copious amounts of veggies, herbs and condiments and served with a delicious green tea soup. In case the dish is too bland for your taste, you can add a dash of red chillies, vinegar and chilli paste. It’s best to visit this place in the evening, as the seating is outdoor and it would be too hot in the afternoon. Enjoy the view of the towering high rises around you because of its location in the central business district. A bottle of the local Tiger beer is an icing on the cake marking a perfect end to a hectic day!
Where? Lau Pa Sat, 18 Raffles Quay, Singapore 048582
Damages? Pocket Friendly- Meal for two is around *$10
- Artistry Cafe, Arab Street: Tucked away in the by lanes of Arab Street is this hidden treasure which is an ideal brunch place. An art gallery cum cafe, you can check out the work of different photographers tastefully displayed across the cafe while digging into your food. The pastas are top notch and a great blend of flavours. The peanut butter & jelly French toast garnished with mixed berry coulis and vanilla ice cream was to die for! The pancakes on the table alongside looked great but they are made in limited quantities and served only till 12pm.
Where? 17 Jalan Pinang, Singapore 199149
Damages? A bit on the steeper side- Meal for two is around *$55
- Toast Box: Try the traditional Kaya toast with Kopi to kickstart your day on a high. Kaya toast is essentially a highly buttered toast with a layer of Kaya or coconut jam. This is usually had by dipping the toast in egg yolk but can also be had sans the egg. Pair this with a cup of traditional Kopi or coffee.
Damages? Pocket Friendly- Meal for two is around *$10.
- Marche, Vivo City: A charming and homely decor with live food counters, this restaurant immediately strikes a chord with you! The long queue at the Rosti counter speaks for itself and was definitely worth the wait. It took two helpings of the delicious caramel with banana crepes to satisfy my sweet tooth. The freshly made lemonades are a great way to beat the heat! That apart you can choose from a wide spread of salads, pastas and pizzas.
Damages? Moderately priced- Meal for 2 around *$40
- Potato Head: The price of the gourmet burger at Potato Head may make you rethink your visit, but it’s totally worth it. Take a table by the window and gaze at the gorgeous shop houses as you munch on your burger and house fries. The three storied cafe is done up very well with colourful murals on the walls and aesthetic decor, especially along the stairways. The 1st level is quieter and more for conversations and banter. The 2nd level is a lounge bar, and the 3rd level is a very bohemian style outdoor seating. Take your pick and gobble away!
Where? 36 Keong Saik Road, Singapore 089143
Damages? A bit on the steeper side. Meal for two is around *$60
If you have any more places to add to this list, please leave them below in the comments section. I would love to hear from you!
*Prices without alcohol; Service charge and taxes extra.