Pondicherry, Je T’aime!

With bougainvillea adorning mustard walls, French street names, cute cafes and the clear blue waters of the Bay of Bengal- Pondicherry gave us a warm welcome! One walk around Ville de Blanche (White Town) exploring the colonial architecture, and I knew it was love at first sight.

239155423359-BW

We were fortunate to stay in a beautiful property which just added to the charm of our vacation. Earlier I was upset that we hadn’t managed to get a booking at Neemrana. But La Closerie, an old restored colonial mansion, with its heritage vibe, outdid our expectations. Each room is uniquely designed with small patios and little alcoves where you can chill with friends. I any day prefer such places over a hotel with all rooms symmetrically aligned. The cherry on top was the relaxing pool underneath the bougainvillea tree. The owner of the guesthouse was more than happy to chat with us and recommend cafes serving great French cuisine. But that deserves another post.

376Copy of IMG_6852IMG_685984La Closerie

We and our cameras just couldn’t get enough of White Town. Of course everyone wanted that perfect profile picture either against the blue sea of the promenade or with the bougainvillea. Despite roaming around every day, we would continue getting lost in the narrow and winding lanes. But that’s what makes the whole experience more fun right?

45125679IMG_6851183187

The agenda on this trip was clear- to not pack too many things into our schedule but just explore the town at our own pace. Our mornings began with lazy brunches at a cafe, afternoons cycling around the town, evenings grabbing coffee and a bite of the fresh baguette at a bakery, nights sipping wine over a great meal and walking along the promenade with the cool wind in your hair. The houses with an old-world charm, the mustard walls, the churches, the quaint cafes, the pretty boutiques, and oh did I mention the mustard walls (They’re a photographer’s delight); I fell head-over-heels in love with this city.

217Eglise De Notre Dame des Anges

444143465345

What about you? Do you too have a love affair with Pondicherry?

The Hungry Trotter Travel Tips:

• The closest airport is Chennai (155 kms) and the drive from Chennai via East Coast Road (ECR) is a very pretty one.
  • Plan your visit a day in advance to Auroville so that the spiritual folks can book the meditation session at the Mantri Mandir and the rest can take up an ongoing workshop suiting their interest. From pottery to organic farming, there are tons of interesting things happening here. You can also buy some organic food items, handmade apparels et al on your way back.
  • The Hidesign factory outlet is in Pondicherry, so you can pick up bags at sweet deals.
  • Pick up some great coffee from the local market. Narasu’s coffee is a local shop on MG Road which can easily be missed because the signage is in Tamil. It’s opposite KFC.
  • For accommodation, pick some heritage property vis a vis a hotel. It will add a new dimension to your experience.

Also read: Cafe Hopping in Pondicherry

21 Comments Add yours

1. Anonymous says:

Hey! Just happened to land on your post.. I’m planning Pondicherry this October and your post has given some lovely insights. Thanks so much 🙂

1. Sunami says:

Great to hear that! Have an awesome time and do share your experience 🙂

2. Lina says:

Yes it’s the best feeling to roaming around and get lost in a new place. I love to get lost in cities like this just strolling around and only when it’s time for me to get back to the hotel I pick up my phone to se where the heck Iam =)

1. Sunami says:

Haha. I can totally empathise!

3. Such a special gem in Southern India! I’ve only been to Rajasthan, Varanasi and Goa, but The rest of the country s definitely on my list! Thanks for the insight and the beautiful pictures!

1. Sunami says:

Yes, there are so many beautiful places to explore in southern India. I’m currently based out of Bangalore and making the most out of my strategic location to visit all these lovely places. Check out my blogs on Coorg and Coonoor. Such serene and gorgeous destinations!

4. This looks like a beautiful place!

1. Sunami says:

Yes, it’s a very charming heritage bungalow 🙂 I would recommend staying there if you ever go to Pondicherry!

5. Lyne says:

Wow, that colonial mansion looks so stylish ! Pondicherry seems to be very charming, and interesting 🙂

6. Ketki says:

Pondicherry is so lovely. I keep planning to go there and keeps on getting cancelled. I need to seriously visit in 2018. Thank you for this post. The photos are gorgeous.

1. Sunami says:

Glad that the post reignited your desire to visit the place! Whenever you do go, please share your experiences 🙂

7. Irene Ferri says:

I love everything French so this was actually a great discovery! Din’t know about this colony at all. Wonder pics my dear!

8. reneemooraferri says:

I love everything FRENCH so this was actually an amazing discovery. I didn’t know about the colony in India at all! Wonderful pics dear

1. Sunami says:

Thanks! It is a photographer’s paradise! And a truly lovely place with them cobbled streets and mustard walls!

9. Wow, Pondicherry looks SO different than the India I’ve seen (Agra, Chennai, Rajasthan). Reminds me almost of parts of southern Europe like Portugal. Lovely!

1. Sunami says:

Yes, a piece of France here in India because of it being a former French colony. Super gorgeous and should be on your list whenever you visit India next!

10. travelsandtreatsblog says:

Wow, it’s so beautiful and charming! I love the bright yellow color, and the flower petals are pretty, too! Your pictures show it off nicely!

1. Sunami says:

It’s a must-visit place in India. Very unlike any other place in India that you may have seen.

11. oh my goodness, what a perfect little place! It looks absolutely charming 🙂

1. Sunami says:

It’s really pretty! And, wandering around the streets and soaking in the lovely architecture was pure bliss!