I love going on wildlife safaris! Because witnessing the big cat in its natural habitat has a different thrill. Don’t you think so? Also, the stillness and serenity that envelopes you in a forest is very liberating. Bandipur Tiger Reserve being just 230 kms away from Bangalore, we decided to spend our weekend in the beautiful Bandipur forest. Since it was just me and my husband, we had to share our jeep with others and we were fortunate to have met like-minded co-travellers. We bonded beautifully over the safari, exchanging stories of the wild.
I’m going to let the pictures do the talking about my experience at Bandipur!
En route Bandipur- The coconut seller seeks respite from the heat under this solitary red tree
Let the ‘games’ begin
This cute little fawn was oblivious to all the paparazzi!
On the other hand, the Sambar agreed to strike a pose for us
As soon as we were alerted, we rushed through the forest dirt road to catch this beauty, lest he disappears into the woods. We made it in time to see him nonchalantly perched amidst the foliage. Phew! Although, he was quite far away, we were happy to have caught a glimpse of him. A regal creature indeed.
He made sure his swagger had us glued to our cameras to capture it
Soaking in the tranquillity of the forest
The red-wattled lapwing taking flight after quenching his thirst
Mamma deer with her beloved baby
I had a yummy lunch! What about you?
The peacock trying to lure the peahen
The eagle gives us a cold and unwelcoming glare!
The multi-hued Giant Malabar Squirrel is a treat for the eyes
Have you visited Bandipur or any other tiger reserve in the southern part of India? What was your experience like?
The Hungry Trotter Travel Hacks:
- The closest airport to Bandipur Tiger Reserve is Mysore (70 kms) or you could also fly to Bangalore airport (260 kms).
- We stayed at the Government of Karnataka run Jungle Lodges which is a no frills accommodation (INR 8000/$125 per night per person, including all meals and two safaris). Bookings get sold out soon, so try to book at least one month before.
- If you’re looking out for something more luxurious, you can check out The Serai-Bandipur. Safaris can be booked directly through the hotel.
- The best time to visit from a sightings point of view is from October till early April.
- Common sightings include Spotted deer, Sambars, Antelopes, Wild Elephants, Langurs, Leopards, Tigers, Sloth bears and Bisons.
This post is a part of the series- #12TravelTales wherein I plan to explore 12 new places in 2017- one every month and share my experiences on the blog.